Originally published at https://www.pedroalmeidavc.com on July 4, 2020.
If someone shared this post to you and you are looking to subscribe to my newsletter, you can do it here
- According to Startup Genome, Lisbon ranked in #12 among the emerging startup ecosystem
- In a different study (European Commission’s Innovation Scoreboard report), Portugal is below the European average (96.7%). Not surprisingly the areas where Portugal lags the most are “Sales impact”, “Linkages” (between corporates/government and other companies), “Intellectual assets”, and “Finance and support”. On the contrary, Portugal scores highly in “Innovators” (adoption of innovation in business), “Innovation-friendly environment”, and “Attractive research systems”. For more details, check the report here.
- Initiatives such as the Infraspeak Sales Development camp are exactly what Portugal needs to fill in the gaps. Well done Felipe and Infraspeak team!
- NOS revealed that Armilar Venture Partners will manage the NOS 10M€ fund dedicated to 5G. Unfortunately, there are not many Portuguese LPs. Is exciting to see some progress in this area!
- One of the gaps in Portugal’s startup ecosystem is gender diversity. Shifted interviewed several female leaders in Portugal. All had great ideas on how to improve gender diversity in startups!
- Portugal Ventures seems to have instructions to accelerate investments — which is a good thing for entrepreneurs! In June, it was the most active investor with 3 investments and it seems is looking to do other 40 over the next weeks
- VCs are increasingly approaching Iberia as a single market. Several Iberian Venture Capital funds are now offering office hours for non-portfolio companies based in this region. You can book it here.
- Bynd Week was an interesting event and fully remote. In case you missed it, you can still watch it in youtube
- Every year João updates the Fintech report — a must-read for everyone keen in Fintech. Check out the 2019 edition.
- Web Summit, one of the largest tech conferences in the world, will still be held in Portugal but will be in a hybrid format. Not yet clear how it is going to play out, but it is happening in December (not conflicting with American elections this time…)!
- If you are keen on knowing more about Porto startup scene and can’t go due to COVID19, a good start is this report
- From Porto, are both João and Francisco from Replai — my most recent investment. It is great to see some leading entrepreneurs such as Humberto (Dashdash), Vasco and João (Unbabel), investing back in the ecosystem alongside Bright Pixel and Ideias Glaciares
- To conclude this month’s highlights, I leave you with the opinion of João Trigo da Roza, APBA’s President, and with the opinion of some entrepreneurs that feel that Portugal state is not supporting startups. We are leaving challenging periods and a lot of opportunities will arise. Imagine how Portugal would be if we were to dedicate the same public investment to fuel innovation as TAP and Efacec!
Accelerator, pitch competition and events
- Until July 17 i2Ai — Artificial Intelligence conference
- July 7 Cuatrecasas Aceleración and Fast Trac
- July 13 ESA BIC incubator
- July 15 Blue Bio Value business accelerator
- July 15 Award IN3+ Casa da Moeda
- July 20 Ageas Insure
- July 21 Angels@Work goes to BGI — Building Global Innovators
- August 30 Hintt awards
- September 2 Smart Open Lisbon
- September 11 Entrepreneurship and Innovation Award Crédito Agrícola
Pedro Almeida’s stuff
- Last month I wrote a post about International Venture Capital firms interested in Portugal. I have written in the past about top venture capital and business angels syndicates in Portugal and one exclusively on business angels in Portugal that can also be interesting for entreprenerus
- I am also running a survey aiming to understand more about the investors’ landscape. The first insights are very interesting. I aim to share some results after having more results. As such, if you are an entrepreneur, please fill in this survey
- Apply for investment
Startup: Barkyn (https://www.barkyn.com/)
TAGs: B2C, E-Commerce, Internet, Subscription
Investors: Indico Capital, All Iron Ventures, Portugal Ventures, 200M
Startup: Replai (https://www.replai.io/)
TAGs: B2B, Artificial Intelligence, Machine learning, Broadcasting, eSports, Video, Video Games, Gaming, Video Streaming
Investors: Bright Pixel, Pedro Almeida, Ideias Glaciares, Clever Advertising, Vasco Pedro, João Graça, Wolfgang Allisat
Startup: Climber (https://climberrms.com/)
TAGs: B2B, Analytics, Artificial Intelligence, Hospitality, SaaS, Software, Travel, Machine Learning
Investors: LC Ventures, Olisipo Way
Startup: Advert.io (https://advertio.com/)
TAGs: B2B, Advertising, Machine Learning, Artificial intelligence
Investors: Startup Braga, Olisipo Way
Startup: Chemitek (https://chemitek.pt/)
TAGs: B2B, Chemical, Energy
Investors: Portugal Ventures
Startup: Kiss My Score (https://www.kissmyscore.com/)
TAGs: B2C, Apps, Gaming, Internet of Things, iOS, Mobile, Sports
Investors: Core Angels, LC Ventures
Startup: Noocity (https://www.noocity.com)
TAGs: B2C, Food Processing, Organic Food, Retail, e-commerce, marketplace
Investors: Core Angels, LC Ventures
Startup: EatTasty (https://eattasty.pt/home)
TAGs: B2C, Communities, E-Commerce, Food and Beverage, Food Delivery
Investors: Shilling Capital, Olisipo Way
Startup: Sheerme (https://sheerme.com/)
TAGs: B2C, Beauty, Fitness, Wellness, Apps, Mobile
Investors: Olisipo Way